Tuesday 8 November 2011

Hello, again.

I have a new found respect for people who blog.  Not that I didn't already but it's a full time commitment to maintain a blog, seriously. 

So to all the bloggers out there, I commend you.  Great job and keep it up.  You are inspirational!

So now to the topic at hand.  Competition and Motivation

My brother, brother-in-law, sister, husband and myself are going at it to see who can have the most drastic change in physique by March of 2012.  Now don't go on about how the world will end by then because we all have it down pact!  We will see the end result and that will be ME!! LOL but no seriously, this competition I feel is going to help all of us with the most difficult thing about maintaining or even losing weight and that is motivation.

Motivation, such an easy thing, no?  How it comes and goes and doesn't even visit long.  So how are we going to keep the motivation going?  Here is what we are doing.

  1. Before and After Pictures - We all took pictures of our "beginning" journey (Will post later) and are planning to have it blown up and hung on the walls of our rooms.  Or at least that is the plan.  In any case, to see ourselves in that large of a scale I believe is more of a reality check than to see ourselves in the mirror because let's face it, how many times have you ever gone by a mirror and be like "damn, I look good." and then see another mirror and think "Yup, this one is broken." or "I like the other one better." 
  2. Bragging rights- I don't care who you are, having to rub your win in the losers face is a little bit gratifying.  Yes, evil, but still oh so satisfying.  I'm not saying to get carried away because there is a fine line between playful banter and down right meanness.  Discover that line before going into any kind of bet.  I will not be held liable for whatever repercussions happen afterwards. But no on a serious note, it's fun.  Just don't go over board alright?
  3. Liability- Having to commit to something like this is not easy to do, I know! Trust me.  Then again nothing in life is easy but doesn't it make it all the more worth it, working hard and KNOWING that you deserve it. I've discovered that if I hold myself liable for someone else then I tend to commit to it and stay focus.  For instance, when I tell a friend that I will take a class with him so we can be buddies in it, I tend to go more often because now I feel obligated and liable for him going to class as well.  Because if I didn't suggest that we take the class together, then he could have easily taken another class instead.  Get what I mean?
  4. The Future- I'm envisioning my future and I see the way I want to be when I get there.  How am I going to accomplish this? What kind of time frame will I accomplish this in?  Is it realistic? Am I setting myself up for failure if I don't do it in the amount of time that I set out for it? I can see already that people are shaking their heads saying that I'm creating excuses for myself.  I'm really not.  I'm planning it out because I don't want to be disappointed because I jumped right into it without looking.  I mean you don't take a test without studying and expect to ace it.  Or jump off a cliff and into the water without knowing how deep it is.  Same thing goes for this.
I know that this is not your traditional steps of motivation, but this is what we are doing.  Tweeking and finding what works for us.  In anycase, I know that when I read this over there will be other things that I add to it but I guess that's the fun of it.  Trial and error, no? 

Good Luck to those reading this.  Your comments are welcomed and encouraged. 

I'll be at the Dededo sports complex every night at around 6:30 just doing my light run. If you need a buddy, I'll be more than accepting.  I'll be the one with the loud son and daughter rollerblading around.  Hope to see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment